Grainline Scout Woven Tee

I don’t know why it took me so long to get on the Grainline bandwagon. I’d been fangirlish in the reading and looking for a long time, but oddly enough, took a while to get around to making something.

Finally, recently, I jumped in and started with a scout woven tee. And then another.

Round one, testing for fit. I made one with an old shirt of Rob’s. When I say old, I mean, he’d worn it a few times, then torn it on a fence, so the fabric was still in really good nick. And made from red & black tartan/checked cotton. So exactly perfect. I used the back of the shirt to cut the front pattern piece for the scout. Partly because I wanted to get a good sense of fit with the dart-less pattern and also because I like buttons down the back…so the back of the blouse is cut from the front of his old shirt. And the original shirt sleeves had enough fabric in them for me to cut the sleeve pieces and the bias binding for the neckline.

I. Love. This. Top.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

 

I don’t yet have a decent photo of the button up back (complete with chest pocket!) but I’ll try and get one. The buttons aren’t sufficient to stop gaping in the back, so I’ll need to add some press-studs or something, but I still love it.

Onto round two. SILK SCOUT. And a lesson in why we can’t have nice things.

Problemo numero uno: the fit is really a bit on the generous side in the soft drapey fabric, compared with the cotton shirting. Also, I realised while sewing the second top that the pattern called for 3/8″ seam allowance, not 5/8″. I can’t remember for certain, but I have a sneaking suspicion that I sewed with a bigger SA on version one. All things considered, the fit is a bit on the ample side in version two.

Problemo numero due: I can’t be trusted with lovely fabric. I pre-washed it with a gentle detergent (Soak; same as I use for handknits). I don’t like to dryclean unless it’s absolutely necessary. After the first wear, the top bore a couple of mysterious small marks. I had no idea what and they looked a bit greasy, so off to the drycleaners. Came back spotless. Excellent. Second wear, getting ready for work, spilt porridge down my front while simultaneously eating breakfast and trying to read a case on my phone. I tried to wash it out immediately, but the mark remained, probably now also ruined by a water mark, notwithstanding my attempt to remove the stain, wash and dry immediately. So – in for another soak. Third wear, realised the porridge marks are still faintly visible and what’s more, I got deodorant on the top while I was putting it on.

Honestly.

There were a couple of minor other things – for instance, as you can see below, there’s a bit of pulling as I’ve eased the neckline binding in place, so it’s not perfect. A similar issue with one of the sleeves. But otherwise I’m happy with the sewing. French seamed everything. Invisible hand-stitched hem.

I love this top but if I ever want to wear it out again there’ll need to be some sort of miracle.

Here she is, in all her former glory.

The Cursed Scout

The Cursed Scout

The Cursed Scout

The Cursed Scout

Wow, what a face.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s