Last April, home sick for a few days, I decided to start knitting something ‘tricky’. I wanted to use some beautiful yarn I’d bought on holidays in Hobart. So it had to be suitable for DK weight. I wanted a project with challenges and I wanted to find the pattern for free on Ravelry. Enter the Assinboine Cowl.
I found that knitting cables wasn’t as hard as I’d expected. I could follow the chart and that was fine. I didn’t swatch it first, because I was sick and tired and mostly couldn’t bring myself to wait – so in the end I did many more repeats than the pattern required!
What was hard, I discovered, was trying to figure out what I was looking at from row to row and working out whether I’d made mistakes. With the cables and decreases and yarn overs, there were a decent share of dropped stitches and picked up stitches. Which I consciously decided to ignore, mostly. I found unpicking the cable rows so hard that for the most part I fudged it whenever I could and knit on. This I think is the real test of being a beginner – not knowing what the hell you’re looking at. Consequently, this cowl might be described as ‘charming’ because of the errors I can see throughout it.
One final note – the provisional cast on and three needle bind off, creating an invisible seam, was really interesting. Again, my beginner skillz weren’t really up to the task and when unravelling the provisional cast on to put it back on the sticks I just about chucked the whole thing in. But the result is ok! Close enough for jazz.
I finished it over the summer holidays, knitting at a lovely spot in Aireys Inlet, watching the birds and the ocean. It’s taken this long to put it on and take a photo! Thank goodness Melbourne has brought the #ausumn weather.
Here are the details:
Sublime baby cashmere merino silk dk
75% extra fine merino
$14 for 50g
4mm bamboo sticks
Bought in Tassie, at Tassie Wool Co